JLI Refugee Hub Meeting (May 14, 2018)
Dave- U Mass Boston, Mairead Collins, Christian Aid, Menya Muhamad, Sophie Peiris and Connie Musallam, Embrace the Middle East, Jacob Tornga, International Association for Refugees, Susanna Trotta, Josh Ayers Food for the Hungry, Katherine Marshall, Georgetown, Carlos Mejia, Oxfam America, Michelle Beckett, World Evangelical Alliance, Kathryn Kraft, WVI
JLI- Molly Middlehurst, Olivia Wilkinson, Stacy Nam, & Jean Duff
Co-chairs: Atallah FitzGibbon, Islamic Relief Worldwide; Elena Fiddian-Qasmiyeh, UCL
- UNHCR Case studies: Please feel free to recommend partners in any of the above countries through the case study submission form link below. Case Study Submissions will lead to primary research within those countries through interviews & focus groups with refugees, host community members and local faith leaders
- Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) Consultation Opportunity: Let Stacy ([email protected]) know if you would like to recommend any local speakers to contribute at the GCR Consultations.
- Send Stacy any suggestions for partner Key activities & events related to the Refugee Hub and to be posted to the JLI Website or recent resources to post on the JLI Library
- Introductions from Members
- Joint Recommendation on the Role of Local Faith Communities to the Global Compact on Refugees submitted
- Overview of UNHCR Project: The Roles of Faith and Local Faith Communities in Supporting Refugees
- 6 case study countries: Honduras, Mexico, Bangladesh, Uganda, Germany and Lebanon.
- Good practice case studies examining local faith actors’ refugee response in the above countries within the context of implementation of the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF). These will then be submitted to the good practice case study database for UNHCR. Please feel free to recommend partners in any of the above countries through the case study submission form link below.
- Case Study Submissions will lead to primary research within those countries through interviews & focus groups
- Christian Aid Partners & WEA will be in touch with the Bangladesh partners
- These will be combined with an evidence review to be presented at the fifth Global Compact on Refugees Consultation in June 12-13.
- 2nd strand activities (end of 2018-2019) will focus on capacity building through creation of a pilot training module for UNHCR staff engagement & local faith communities & faith leader engagement. This will also include development of implementable recommendations for UNHCR and other stakeholders to improve partnership and the effectiveness of humanitarian response to displaced people
- Advisory group for capacity building opportunity (ACT Alliance, Caritas, CRS, IRW LWF, & JRS ) faith leaders & humanitarian response; others welcome to join to help develop the pilot training based on research & best practice
- Henry Luce Foundation Project: Religion, Refugees, and Forced Migration: Making Research-informed Impact in Global Policy Processes focuses on research Translation & communication around what we know about religion, refugees & forced migration.
- Policy guidelines and annotated bibliographies
- Media outreach pack development
- Convene policy dissemination meetings (potentially at UNGA or other key global north/south locations)
- JLI to schedule a separate meeting about the planning of a policy roundtable/ convening at UNGA in September
- More about the project here
- Second Scoping on ‘Stages and Spaces of Religious Engagement in Refugee Experience’ underway – Summary of evidence (journal articles & research reports) in the last two years. Susanna Trotta is helping with this
- Global Compact on Refugees Consultation Opportunity: Let Stacy ([email protected]) know if you would like to recommend any local speakers to contribute at the GCR Consultations.
- Katherine Marshall: Argentina is setting the agenda for the G20 meeting in November 2018
- Interfaith group hopes to become a formal engagement group & is currently prioritizing themes
- Initial meeting: Sept 26-28 in Buenos Aires
- Last year, G20 Germany has a large refugee focus. Coordinated a Policy Brief that showcases the Policy Briefing on religion and refugee resettlement and submitted to T20.
- Feel free to look at brief above, Proposed Policy Brief Topics 2018 and provide input (send to [email protected])
- Potential focus on Venezuela or other crisis in the region, focus on the difficult questions within G20 context; what should the G20 individually as countries and collectively do
- G20 could contribute to the Global Support Platform in the Global Compact on Refugees. Also, would be good to align this with all the current policy processes and the JLI Scoping Study & current ongoing study (mentioned above) could help to increase the evidence as well.
- Request for ideas – see attached preliminary themes